iGods

Spring Break is upon us, I am looking forward to being able to decompress, relax and do some reading. This Spring Break I will be reading the book “iGods” by Craig Detweiler. Just to give you a snippet of what he writes about, I quote: ”Our devices demand our attention. MIT psychologist Sherry Turkle notes how the current generation is “among the first to grow up with an expectation of continuous connection: always on, and always on them.” We have embraced this shift largely without considering the implications. Our basic philosophy has been summarized by William Powers: It’s good to be connected, and it’s bad to be disconnected. He describes us as “digital maximalists” operating under a basic maxim, “the more you connect, the better off you are.” Powers notes, “We never sat down and consciously decided that this was the code we would live by. There was no discussion, no referendum or show of hands. It just sort of happened, as if by tacit agreement or silent oath. “From now on, I will strive to be as connected as possible at all times.” I write this book because I want to pause and question the aphorism. This is an effort to step back, slow down, and take a long view of where we’ve been and where we’re heading.” page 7

I am excited to read the rest and share more incites with you. Have a great break and we will see you in April.

Bookmark and Share

One thought on “iGods